Adult Probation Public Dataset Q4 2018
Adult Probation Public Dataset Q4 2018
Date of dataset: 12/31/2018
Source: PRISM (Probation Record Information System Management) PO-216 Report
Notes: To ensure confidentiality and to protect the identities of individuals on probation, the ages of some individuals in the dataset have been withheld, and marked “N/A”. This is done to avoid possible re-identification through the available demographic information, or stigmatization of a group when they make a substantial percent of a designated population.
Number of records with ages withheld: 130
The Alameda County Probation Department (ACPD) collects information on its clients and records this in the Adult Probation System. ACPD staff run reports from this system that extract data for specified time periods. This dataset is derived from PRISM PO-216 report – Adults on Probation Data Extract 2. This report contains individual-level information for all adults on the ACPD caseload on date specified. To create this dataset, the report was de-identified and edited to include the most pertinent information.
Data Characteristics and Known Limitations
• To ensure confidentiality and to protect the identities of individuals on probation, the ages of some individuals in the dataset have been withheld, and marked “N/A”. This is done to avoid possible re-identification through the available demographic information, or stigmatization of a group when they make a substantial percent of a designated population. Please see the “Notes” tab in the public dataset file, which states the number of records with withheld ages in that dataset.
• Individuals may be on more than one type of supervision at a time. In these cases, the following hierarchy is used to determine their case type for the purposes of this report:
o Mandatory Supervision
o Post Release Community Supervision
o Other Status
o Formal Probation
• The APS system has no built-in verification for address, city, or zip code. Therefore, address entries may be subject to human error or may be left blank. Current upgrades to the department’s case management system will not allow incorrectly entered or blank address entries. Initial dataset releases will not contain residential city or zip code information.
Definition of Terms
• Age Group – age range the client was in on the date of report.
• Case Type – type of supervision case the individual is on at the time of the report
o Formal Probation – A term of community supervision ordered by the court as all or part of an individual’s sentence for a felony or misdemeanor conviction. An individual on formal probation is supervised by a probation officer and ordinarily must meet with the officer anywhere from once a week to once a month. A formal probation term in Alameda County is typically three to five years.
o PRCS (Post Release Community Supervision) – A term of community supervision served by individuals released from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation after serving a prison commitment for non-serious, non-violent, or non-high-risk sex offenses (regardless of prior convictions). An individual on PRCS is supervised by a probation officer and serves a term of 12 to 36 months. Prior to the Public Safety Realignment Act of 2011 (AB109), the PRCS population was supervised by state parole.
o Mandatory Supervision – A term of community supervision defined by Penal Code Section 1170(h). Individuals on Mandatory Supervision have been convicted of felony crimes that are not eligible for incarceration in prison and instead are sentenced by the Court to serve their sentence in county jail or to “split” the sentence between jail custody and a separate period of Mandatory Supervision. An individual on Mandatory Supervision is supervised by a probation officer and serves a term determined by the Court.
o Other Status – An individual on the Alameda County Probation Department caseload who is in the process of being transferred to or from another county per Penal Code Section 1203.9 or who is being supervised in a diffe
|Name||Socrata field name||Column name in ||Data type||Description|