Juvenile Services Public Dataset Q3 2019
Juvenile Services Public Dataset Q3 2019
Date of dataset: 9/30/19
Source: PRISM (Probation Record Information System Management) PO-234 Report
Notes: To ensure confidentiality and to protect the identities of individuals on probation, the ages of some individuals in the dataset have been withheld, and marked “N/A”. This is done to avoid possible re-identification through the available demographic information, or stigmatization of a group when they make a substantial percent of a designated population.
Number of records with ages withheld: 12
The Alameda County Probation Department (ACPD) collects information on all juveniles referred to the department and records this in PRISM (Probation Record Information System Management). Several reports are built into the PRISM system that allow ACPD staff to extract data for specified time periods. This dataset is derived from the PRISM PO-234 report. This report provides a dataset of all youth that have an assigned Probation Officer. Cases include formal supervision, informal supervision, intake, and investigations. The report provides a one-day snapshot of individual-level data on each youth along with demographic information. To create this dataset, the report was de-identified and edited to include the most pertinent information.
Data Characteristics and Known Limitations
• To ensure confidentiality and to protect the identities of individuals on probation, the ages of some individuals in the dataset have been withheld, and marked “N/A”. This is done to avoid possible re-identification through the available demographic information, or stigmatization of a group when they make a substantial percent of a designated population. Please see the “Notes” tab in the public dataset file, which states the number of records with withheld ages in that dataset.
• PRISM is a referral system rather than a case management system, and a youth may have more than one open referral at a time. Therefore, the analyst who creates this report must apply a hierarchy to determine how to count youth with multiple open referrals, since PRISM does not perform this function. The hierarchy employed for this dataset is as follows: Warrant, Placement, Community Supervision, Intake / Investigations, Truancy.
Definition of Terms
• Age Group – age range the client was in on the date of report.
• Gender – gender of the client as recorded at booking.
• Race Group – race group of client as recorded at booking.
o Asian/Pacific Islander – a person whose ancestry can be identified as Asian Indian, Cambodian, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Vietnamese, other Asian, Pacific Islander, Samoan, Guamanian, or Hawaiian.
o Black – a person whose ancestry is any of the black racial groups of Africa.
o Hispanic – a person of Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Central and South America or other
o Spanish culture or origin regardless of race.
o American Indian – a person whose ancestry is any Native American tribe.
o Other – a person who cannot be linked to any of the general or specific racial/ethnic groups
o White – a person whose ancestry is any of the original peoples of Europe, North Africa, or
the Middle East.
Supervision Type – The type of supervision the youth was on at the time of the report
o Community Supervision – youth on formal supervision and placed in one of the
following units at the time of this report: General Supervision, Community Supervision,
Family Preservation Unit, or Intensive Supervision.
o Intake and Investigation – youth at the intake stage who have been arrested and/or
referred to Probation, as well as youth at the investigation stage who have referrals that
have been petitioned to court and are pre-adjudication at the time of this report. Youth
in the intake and investigation category are not yet on probation.
o Placement – youth placed outside of the home in foster care, a group home, or a
residential treatment center at the time of this report.
o Truancy – youth participating in the District Attorney’s Truancy Mediation Diversio
|Name||Socrata field name||Column name in ||Data type||Description|