One key analytical tool used by the City Council and City staff is a comparison of the average costs incurred by homeowners in several cities throughout the Valley. The average charges for the current fiscal year for various cities are compared with the average costs for the current fiscal year in the City of
Mesa. While some neighboring municipalities have a different resource mix than Mesa, bringing them all together allows for comparison to ensure that Mesa remains an affordable place to live, work and play. Sources include applicable Tax Year Limited Property Value, Maricopa County Assessor's Office, and Maricopa County Tax Levy and Rates page.
The Average Homeowner’s Annual Cost Comparison Notes:
• The City of Mesa and the Town of Gilbert are the only municipalities that do not have a primary
property tax. All other revenue sources exist in all municipalities.
• Estimated city sales taxes paid is based on average household expenditures from the Bureau of Labor
and Statistics Consumer Expenditure Survey applied to each city’s sales tax rate. Some cities have
different rates for different taxable items. Mesa does not collect sales tax on the sale of food for
consumption at home.
• Comparisons are determined using a standard service level for all cities.
• Standard solid waste charges are for twice per week garbage (and recyclables where applicable)
collection using 90 gallon barrels. Solid Waste residential charges include a Green and Clean fee for
• Other city’s environmental fees are included as applicable.
• Charges are based on FY 16/17 annual average usage of 8,900 water gallons per month, ranging from
6,000 in winter to 12,000 in summer.
• Wastewater charges are based on the average consumption of water during the winter months.
SEE ATTACHMENT FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
|Name||Socrata field name||Column name in ||Data type||Description|
|Comparison Value||comparison_value||comparison_value||Number||Annual dollar amount or tax rate|
|Comparison Item||comparison_item||comparison_item||Text||Annual Cost or tax rate for applicable usage fee/tax|
|Fiscal Year||fiscal_year||fiscal_year||Text||The fiscal year starts July 1 of the first year and ends June 30th of the next.|